Monday, November 12, 2007

Macs, Batteries, and Learning Curve





This weekend I thought I lost my laptop battery charger! Considering I have the 17" MacBookPro, leave my screen resolution on the highest level of brightness, and run a myriad of programs all at once, my batter lasted approximately only a few nanoseconds before requiring me to plug in. Needless to say, without knowing where my charger was, I didn't have a computer to work on all weekend, which wasn't too bad, but this morning when I arrived to the office and still couldn't find my charger I... well, probably similar to many of you, felt completely useless. As I sat in my chair, I looked around my office and realized that my once anticipated productive Monday would be a mundane Monday of non productivity. I really felt, without my computer, in someways naked. Does this mean I am too connected to my computer - or are we as a society too dependent on our technology. It seems as if we are going about this technology paradox all wrong - shouldn't the technology be dependent upon us?!

On a different note we have now purchased the new iMac for Leah and her home business. It's sweet! Lightening fast, awesome display, etc. etc. My sister's family also purchased one - however, this was their first mac! Finally, they have redeemed their souls, and seen the light. I went over to their house this weekend, excited to show them how "awesome" macs are. After a few frustrating hours, I realized, that showing them the "new" exciting things of Leopard, really are not all that awe inspiring when you've never had a mac before, or really been into computers. Their reactions to industry changing things like "time machine", "spaces", RSS, etc. ranged from "neat" to, "so, what." I came away from the experience with a slight realization of my geekiness. I've never considered myself a computer nerd - but I think I am - only because I get really excited about computer things like the new Mac OS, enjoy hacking around computers, etc. When did this all happen! Is it bad that I could spend an entire day reading RSS feeds, figuring out coding, working on Photoshop, programming in Flash, etc? What am I to do?! Some help - please?!

No comments: