Thursday, April 12, 2007

A balancing act!


I have made it an effort for some time to learn something new everyday. For example today (although I know I learned this in 8th grade geography) I quickly looked up and learned about atmospheric and barometric pressure (I know it's not an interesting topic, but my watch has this function and determines the elevation by calibrating the pressure - so I figured I better understand hPa/mbar.) At any rate, as I did the quick research, and then continued into my daily RSS reading, I started to reflect on the interesting relationship technology and I share. First, I better define what technology is. Now this is not a heuristic definition for me, yet, but it does seem to guide my current philosophy. Technology is and can be defined as anything that facilitates my life. (Go ahead, argue the point, tell me that definition is too simple, etc. - I don't mind.) The reason I subscribe to this holistic approach is because contemporary definitions of the word seem to be outdated by the time even wikipedia has listed them. At any rate, considering this definition I continue to struggle with how to balance my life vis a vis technology (life facilitation). You see, I love technology (and not in the Napolean Dynamite Kip way) for the mere fact it provides rapid, unlimited access to information. I now can learn more, more often, and quicker. But therein lies the balancing problem. Take for example my del.icio.us account - I usually will add something there each day - only after reading, sorting, and disaggregating an hour of (oftentimes) mindless weblinks (mindless, simply because they don't provide any truly innovative information or teach me something new - but I search in hopes of finding that diamond in the rough - it's an addiction.) However, despite having read about, and adding the find to my del.icio.us account I often don't recall what I put there. The other day I sorted through my account and found I had posted a few repeat links (proof), right?! I suppose this debate gets into the idea of information literacy, the ability to accurately evaluate and assess the validity, reliability, etc. of something, and then determine how you would use it, and the create a space for how you will remember it, or find it again. Volia, my quandary = how do we balance the facilitation of life (information upsurge) with being able to recall all the information we are experiencing and have access to, with the amount of time to sort, sift, and try to recall it. I suppose, that's the reason I really like social bookmarking and RSS feeds - I can subscribe to others who seem to have the same balancing problem, and then rely on their sorting abilities to share with me what they feel is important... wait a second... what if they are relying on me for the same thing - aren't we then just running in circles. O boy, now what to do I do?!

No comments: