Thursday, May 01, 2008

Teachers are professionals?!

Ok, this one makes me a little sad and embarrassed. The other day as I lectured on Web 2.0, I discussed the issue of connectivity and collaboration, demonstrating how FaceBook, MySpace, Twitter, Blogs, UStreamTV, among a myriad of other social networking sites can be used to benefit teaching and learning. Although I believe the lecture was well thought-out and received, I failed to mention a key element: if teachers are going to use these service, even for personal use, they need to be both wise and professional. Check out this article from the Washington Post concerning the inappropriate behavior of teacher social network usage. Teachers have been battling acceptance as a legitimate and well respected profession (mostly in the U.S.) for decades, and believe me, if teacher's start sharing their public life in a way that is either inappropriate or not representative of who they "should be", the profession will continue to lack in respectability. The world needs teachers. They can be powerful role-models. However, only those who really want to make a difference on a "consistent basis" should consider the option. (Note: I hope people realize that their are "chimpanzees" in every profession.

No comments: