Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Technolust

I recently read an article about a school who spent $98 million for technological equipment and systems. At first glance I thought - that's where I want to be. Then, after a second I thought, wait a sec., did the teachers have any say in what technology would be purchased, or was it one of those things that comes from the top down?! If so, was it a rash decision? I sure hope there was some research done before hand. Here's an interesting quote from the article:

…faculty morale is the lowest and cynicism the highest I’ve seen in
years. The problem? What a former Alexandria school superintendent
calls “technolust” — a disorder affecting publicity-obsessed school
administrators nationwide that manifests itself in an insatiable need
to acquire the latest, fastest, most exotic computer gadgets, whether
teachers and students need them or want them. Technolust is in its
advanced stages at T.C., where our administrators have made such a
fetish of technology that some of my colleagues are referring to us as
“Gizmo High.”


Here's the link to the full article.

No comments: